Welcome to our website, which we created to keep friends and family updated the status of our little baby boy. On Feb 5th, at almost 27 weeks pregnant, my water broke during a two day visit to OKC. I'm now being hospitalized in OKC and will try to post updates here for those who'd like to follow us through this experience. Thank you so much for your continued prayers for our little guy.











Thursday, February 9, 2012

2-9-12: 4 days

I have enjoyed your messages and visits over these last few days. I'm sure in the coming days & weeks I'll be able to better wrap mind around the idea of this room being my new "home". Chris and Ava will have to head back to Michigan this weekend, so I am enjoying spending time with them before they leave. Hopefully in a few weeks they will be back down to visit again, I will look forward to that. We've given Ava little pieces of information each day to give her an idea of what's going on without overwhelming her. She's done okay so far. She understands that mommy has to stay in the hospital to make sure baby brother is safe & healthy. We talked today about her going back to Michigan with daddy so she could go to preschool for the Valentine's exchange and because daddy needed her to show him what all the buttons on the plane are for :). She proudly told me she could do that because she knows how to fly on a plane. Her concept of time hasn't fully developed, so to not overwhelm her we're just talking about a few days at a time with her. Grant seems to be doing fine at home so far. But today on the phone he told me "I want you to come home right now. I want mommy to come home". Grant is such a sweet, loving, tender hearted boy. The idea of him feeling abandoned by me tears me up inside. I am just hoping that his young age and the fact that he doesn't have a good concept of time will allow him to be easily distracted between visits. It's hard for me to imagine going from being such an integral part of his day to day, to being gone. Wondering how this will affect the kids is the hardest part for me. I know they are resilient and I just hope I'm able to show them I love them from a distance.

As far as the medical side of everything, we have looked into the idea of having me transported back to Michigan and that doesn't seem like an option. It would require us to pay for a medical flight out of pocket. Though there would be medical personnel on the flight, there are still risk being far from a hospital if something happened. As of right now, it looks like I'll be staying here. The good news is, that the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) here is the best in the state, with the highest ranking available. So we know that our baby will get good care once he arrives.

If you know me, you know I'm trying to understand the science behind all of this. I ask a lot of questions and the doctor's even brought me an article from a medical journal to read - they have me pegged! When it comes down to it, we are waiting. Things may remain very calm, or could change on a dime. Below I've described some of what we know, for those of you interested in the medical part of things.

According to what I've read, I don't have any of the risk factors for my water to break so early. Things that would usually cause this are contractions, infection, history of pre-term labor, disease, smoking, & amniocentesis. After having two overdue babies with uncomplicated pregnancies, this was surprising. However, I did have second-trimester bleeding, which may have been what weakened the sac. There is no way to confirm that though.

The main risks we face right now are:

1) prolapse cord: Since there is less fluid around the baby, it's more likely his cord could get pinched, which would result in him not receiving oxygen and an immediate C-section. This is a reason they want to monitor me closely. Baby is head down, which they say is very very positive because it makes the risk of prolapse cord lower.

2) low amniotic fluid:Also since there is less fluid, the baby has less room to move around freely. Movement is important for his limbs to develop properly and for his lungs to develop. They cannot tell me if we are at risk for these things by my fluid levels. They can only say that we are not to a critical level. Normal range of fluid may be 5-24. Below 5 is critical. We are a 6, which doesn't sound too high to me, but they feel very good about that because we are still in a safe range.

3) infection: When the protective sac around the baby is no longer sealed, bacteria from mom's body can't be kept out and can result in an infection. Infection can induce pre-term labor. It seems this is the most common problem with PROM.

My first goal is for us to get to 29 weeks. Prior to that, there is a lot of blood nourishing the brain and it puts babies at high risk for bleeding in the brain. The NICU doctors told us that treating preemies is a completely different game after 29 weeks so we're aiming for that first small goal.

Thanks again to everyone for the love & support.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update as well as the medical breakdown. :) Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the medical stuff. I have been wondering about all this. My prayers are continual for you and your lovely family. Love you, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for keeping us posted, especially on the medical stuff so we know specifically how to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you our best! Wish there was something we could do for you. Hang in there momma. Sandra L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear sweet Andrea, thank you for the update & all the medical details. Your 2 lil A & G will be okay, I'll help you make "mommy loves you" boxes to mail to them. I'll come visit after Chris leaves. You & this baby will come through this, we all have faith of God's healing hands.
    Love ya ~Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia, I really appreciate that. I know that would make the kids feel SO special. ~ andrea

      Delete
  6. My sister let me know what's going on. Let me know if you need anything or just want company after work some afternoon. I've put you on our church prayer list and will be anxious for updates! God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea I will continue to lift you up in prayer and know that we are praying for you and the children. You are correct they are very resilient but they will miss you just as you will miss them. Hang in there. Yvonne Avery

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all love you so much, Andrea, and adore your entire family! Grant was a sweetie pie on Wednesday night and I am happy that he had Grandma and Grandpa Brophy with him. I believe both your kids have a lot of ties to people at church already so there is some comfort in the familiar faces they will see.

    You are lifted up in prayer by so many people and your wonderful attitude is really shining HIS light. Hugs to you and we can't wait to see you again! Love, Carolyn Miller

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea, my prayers and thoughts are with you! I think Grant is coming over to play with Sage on Saturday! We will take good care of him! Take care of you. Love, julie Adams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for letting him come play Julie. I know those occasional breaks for my dad and Chris are appreciated. And maybe those two little guys will become great buddies:)

      Delete
  10. Sweet Andrea, Thank you for creating this site so we can keep up with your journey. We are praying for you, your family and the medical staff and are looking forward to meeting this baby boy that our little grandbaby, Sophie, is betrothed to! Miss you and love you!
    Jan Sims

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to come visit you next week. Is there anything I can bring you? We have lots of great reading material!
    Hang in there. There are so many people praying for you, I hope that you can feel all that love an encouragement.
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is very positive that you have things divided into segments - small increments of time for the kids, short-term goals for the pregnancy. Your children are so smart and they have a close connection to Christ and I believe that will help them make it through. Kids can exceed our expectations, even our positive expectations, so aim high for them and they will pick up on that. Enjoyed our visit today. We'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We all are praying for you and your family back here in MI, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Andrea, I am so glad you have this blog. You are in my prayers and I have several of my friends and their churches praying for you. I know this is a difficult time but hang in there and soon your new baby will be here and you will be back in MI. The children probably won't remember much but they will be very happy when you are home. It is such a blessing that Chris is such a great Dad and of course your parents are wonderful too. Your children are easy to love and they have a lot of people loving them now. So rest in the arms of our Lord. I know you won't rest as well in the hospital because of all the 'traffic' but if it gets too much talk to the nurse and they may be able to change some of the visits to help you be able to sleep, which is very important for both of you. Sending you hugs and much love, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete