Welcome to our website, which we created to keep friends and family updated the status of our little baby boy. On Feb 5th, at almost 27 weeks pregnant, my water broke during a two day visit to OKC. I'm now being hospitalized in OKC and will try to post updates here for those who'd like to follow us through this experience. Thank you so much for your continued prayers for our little guy.











Saturday, February 11, 2012

6 days

Today Chris and Ava left to go back home to Michigan. I was dreading today, realizing that how I handled the situation completely hinged on how Ava handled it. They came over nice and early and we all had breakfast together. Ava and I ate Mickey Mouse pancakes and played Dora bingo, made puzzles, and packed up the Valentine's I had helped her make for preschool on Monday. It may be my imagination, but she even seemed older just after one week of seeing her on and off. She's so independent! I have been so impressed with Chris this week. He has taken care of her without hesitation and with almost no instruction from me. He will do a great job back home. When they left we talked about how daddy had a special surprise for her during the flight layover. She could hardly wait (it was a Zhu Zhu pet, which she's been wanting. We thought it would give her something to look forward to and it was a HUGE hit). She gave me 7 hugs and 7 kisses to hold me over until she comes back. I'm glad she is oblivious to the significance of the situation we're in. The baby steps are working great so far with her. It's helped that she's had the whole week to process what's going on and accept that mommy has to stay at the hospital. I think it helped her (and me) so much knowing that there are already plans for her and Grant to return.

I was able to spend time with some of my closest girlfriends this afternoon. We had some good laughs and I appreciated their company. I've also started spending a little time reading up on what to expect from bed rest and having a preemie. I don't want to worry about things that may not happen, but I know it will help to know what to expect in NICU. The nurses around here talk about how things can change on a dime, so I'm thankful for every day that this baby boy is inside and growing like he needs to be. My nurse tonight said my baby was "wonderful" on the monitor. She said based on his heart rate patterns he was acting like a 31 or 32 week baby. I think maybe he's just a strong little one:).

I'm off to bed. I'm learning that one needs to go to bed early in the hospital if one wants to get sleep...because there are no locks on the doors to keep the nurses from coming in for a temp/bp/meds check at 1 am or to keep the resident doctor from doing his rounds at 4:30 am! I may put a sign on my door with the answers to the questions I know they are going to ask so they don't have to wake me up:)

2 comments:

  1. Andrea, I'm keeping you, your baby boy and whole family in my prayers. I know how strong of a person you are, but our children are the same age so I can imagine how hard it must be on you to not be with them everyday. Hang in there! Love, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw Ava today after bible class. She was EXCITED about the Zhu Zhu pet she got! She was "yelling" into my face very excitedly about it (in a sweet way - I was smiling). One of the reasons she may seem so grown up is bc you are with her all of the time. When I have time away from my little ones, I notice the same thing. Little T. and I have been praying for you and the baby. I tell him "Ava's Mama" to put it in perspective.

    Dont you love hospital clocks... I remember all of the early morning visits when I was in for one week when Little H. was only 2 weeks old. I pumped every two hours around the clock so I really never slept. Get some rest.

    ReplyDelete