Welcome to our website, which we created to keep friends and family updated the status of our little baby boy. On Feb 5th, at almost 27 weeks pregnant, my water broke during a two day visit to OKC. I'm now being hospitalized in OKC and will try to post updates here for those who'd like to follow us through this experience. Thank you so much for your continued prayers for our little guy.











Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Sudden Turn of Events

After receiving an email offering a low last minute fare to OKC for the following weekend, I decided to take a short trip with Ava to visit our friends in OKC. I knew with a baby on the way, it would be a long time before we'd get to visit again. Chris was going on a business trip and so Ava and I would travel from Detroit to OKC & stay for about 2 days. On Sunday Feb 5th, less than 24 into the trip my water broke and I was being admitted to Children's hospital. Chris flew in the next morning, leaving Grant with my parents.

About 50% of women in this situation go into labor and deliver in the first 24 h. Half of the remaining 50% deliver in the first week. So the first 48 were very critical. They started IV antibiotics (to prevent infection) and magnesium (to prevent labor and serve as a neuroprotectant). They gave steroid shots to help the baby's lungs and closely monitored me every hour, as well as measuring blood pressure every 30 min round the clock. Thankfully, we made it through the first 48 hours and baby boy is still right where he should be! I was happy to be done with the magnesium (which causes fatigue and flu like symptoms) because it made my mind quite cloudy, and to be moved into a new room with orders for bed rest that now permit me to get up to use the rest room and shower!

We were amazed at how many of your responded so quickly with prayers for our situation. We are SO thankful for those prayers. Right now things are going well, but it could change at a moment's notice. It's just a waiting game. In the meantime, I am on bed rest and am not allowed to leave this hospital until the baby is delivered. At that time we can expect a stay in ICU, meaning this endeavor could be over several months.

In the meantime we are trying to make decisions about what to do long term as a family. Though I am the one in the hospital, the true burden lies on my husband, who will have to take one the role of being both mom & working dad, and my children, who are too small to understand their mother's absence. Please pray for both the health of our little baby boy as well as the transitions that lay ahead for our family. Many of you have offered your help, which we sincerely appreciate. At this stage we aren't really sure what our needs are going to be. Over time as we determine that I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks for all the love and support. We continue to ask for your prayers that God will wrap his loving protective arms around our little boy and give us patience and strength through the coming months and comfort to our two little ones.

I will try to keep this site updated for those of you who want to follow us through this and who want updates on our situation. Hopefully the next several weeks will be uneventful and baby will stay right where he needs to be!

Love to you all

8 comments:

  1. So so glad to hear of all of the blessings so far despite how hard this is on you all. You will definitely continue to be in my and John's prayers and we will make a point to visit soon, but probably not for a couple of weeks. We know you have so much Church family coming to visit you now in OKC, but I know that tends to die down after a couple of weeks in the hospital, so we'll come liven things up then! Until then, I will stay updated through your blog (so cool!) and talk to Melissa R. often. Hang in there and know you have hundreds of people praying for you, Chris, Ava, and Grant and baby boy Moyer! Much Love, Jen Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and your family. Praying for a happy healthy baby and Mommy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carl and I are praying for you and the baby and the family. This must be so hard, but your Godly attitude through it is evident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Andrea, I saw on FB what is going on with you. So scary, I will be lifting you up to God!! Prov 3:5-6

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shared your situation at Wonderful Wednesday tonight and all the folks are deeply concerned for all of you. Keep us posted as the picture becomes clearer as to what the plans are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, thank you for sharing so we can be praying for ya'll. Such a scary situation, but I am so thankful we have such a wonderful God to go to in prayer. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you all and ready to help--as are lots of folks, I know. Included you and family on our church prayer list too. Glad to have the blog so can keep up without bothering you. Alta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea,
    The Lord whom we serve is so good. He WILL be with you throughout all of this difficult time. I am adding my prayers daily to those that are already being offered for you and your family. Much love to you all. Teresa Barbian

    ReplyDelete